Brighten up your breakfast table with this homemade fruit and nut muesli – a delicious family favourite!
- 60g (2oz) hazelnuts, chopped
- 60g (2oz) flaked almonds
- 60g (2oz) sultanas
- 60g (2oz) bran flakes
- 170g pack dried berries and cherries, or cranberries
- 500g (1lb) jumbo oats or porridge oats
- Semi-skimmed milk (300ml/½ pint per person — 75ml/5 tablespoons if soaking, plus extra for serving)
- To serve:
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh seasonal fruit: mango slivers, apple slices or bananas, pineapple and red grapes
- Honey or maple syrup
Toast the nuts in the oven, under the grill or in a frying pan, watching to make sure that they don’t burn. Leave to cool in a large bowl.
Add all the other ingredients and mix together. Store the mixture in an airtight tin or large jar.
Use about 75g (2½oz) muesli per person. For serving as traditional (Bircher) muesli, add 75ml (5 tablespoons) semi-skimmed milk per person. Leave covered in the fridge overnight (it will still be crunchy in the morning — promise!).
Serve in bowls with more milk, topped with a good spoonful of yogurt and fresh fruit. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
Top tip for making Muesli
Add about 60g (2ozs) muscovado sugar to the muesli mix if you like it sweeter. The mixture will keep well for a couple of weeks in an airtight container