Everyone loves homey chicken fricassee – and this version is super-easy, as well as delicious. It's a terrific dish for after-work cooking.
- 900g chicken legs with thighs, skin on
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or rapeseed oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced 5mm thick
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 450g mushrooms, sliced 5mm thick
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 500g canned whole Italian plum tomatoes, roughly chopped, with the juice from measuring
- 150g shelled edamame
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat a large roasting tin or large, heavy ovenproof frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and sauté, turning once, for about 20 minutes until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Drain the pan of all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and sauté for 2–3 minutes until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tarragon, tomatoes with their juice and edamame. Mix well and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Top with the chicken, transfer to the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a platter and serve.
Top tip for making Mushroom chicken fricassee with edamame
To make this vegetarian, use tofu or another veggie alternative to chicken