These tasty lemon cupcakes are perfect treats to celebrate the birth of a baby – decorate with a lemon buttercream and either pink or blue decorations for a boy or a girl
- For the zesty lemon cupcakes:
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp milk
- For the lemon buttercream:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, sieved
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- To decorate:
- 6 ready-made blue or pink feet sugar decorations
- 9 ready-made blue or pink baby sugar decorations
- Edible silver balls
- Edible cream or lemon glitter
- You will also need:
- Disposable piping bag small star nozzle
For the zesty lemon cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/376oF/Gas Mark 5.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- Whisk the butter and sugar together using an electric hand whisk or beat with a wooden spoon until pale and creamy
- Gradually whisk in the eggs until just combined. Then add the flour, lemon zest, baking powder and milk.
- Whisk until combined and fluffy.
- Divide equally between the paper cases, filling them about two-thirds full, and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden and risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to go cold.
For the lemon buttercream:
- Whisk the butter in a bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and whisk until it comes together
- Add the lemon juice and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Use as required
- Spread a little of the buttercream over the tops of six cupcakes using a small palette knife.
- Put the remaining buttercream into a piping bag with a small star nozzle and pipe a star border around the edge of the six iced cupcakes.
- Decorate the remaining cupcakes with small rosettes, starting on the outside edge and working your way into the centre to cover the tops.
- Decorate each cupcake with a baby decoration or pair of feet. Sprinkle the piped cupcakes with silver balls and all the cakes a dusting of glitter.