Kickstart your morning with this fruity, oaty smoothie, flavoured with cinnamon, ginger and vanilla.
- 1 large orange
- 2.5cm root ginger, grated and juiced to give 1tbsp juice
- 100g yogurt (or soya yogurt for vegan option)
- 150g drained, tinned mango (reserve the juice or syrup)
- 2tsp wheatgerm (optional)
- 1tbsp porridge oats
- 1tbsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2-3 drops vanilla extract (optional)
Use a zester to make a few shreds of zest for garnish. Grate more zest to give ¼ tsp grated orange zest. Squeeze juice from the orange. There should be about 4tbsps (60ml).
Wrap the grated ginger in a small square of muslin and twist hard to extract the juice (or use a juicer).
Put grated orange zest, orange juice and all other ingredients into a liquidizer and blend until smooth. taste. Sweeten with a little of the reserved juice from the tinned mango if needed and blend again.
Serve in glasses and garnish with the shreds of zest.
Tinned apricots also work well as an alternative to mango