The addition of pears gives this wonderfully rich mash a slightly sweet taste. It's great with turkey, pork and beef, as well as veggie dishes
- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) floury potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, bashed
- 100g (4oz) butter, plus a little extra for the pears
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 2 ripe pears, cored and diced
- 1tbsp chopped fresh thyme
Put the potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted water, add the garlic and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until soft. Drain and return to the pan. Warm over a very low heat to cook off any excess water. Add the butter and cream, then heat gently until bubbling. Mash until smooth.
Meanwhile, cook the pears and thyme in a little butter in a small pan for 5 to 10 mins until softened. Stir into the mash and season to taste.
Top tip for making Pear and thyme mash
You can make this dish in the morning then cool and chill for a couple of hours. Microwave until piping hot before serving.