Use up any leftover veg and that tin of Spam in this tasty curried rice dish with cashew nuts. Perfect for a cheap family dinner and it tastes delicious too
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½tsp turmeric
- ½tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 courgette, cut into 1cm cubes, roughly
- 1x 410g can chickpeas, drained well
- 100g frozen peas
- 225g Basmati rice
- 2 x 200g cans Spam™, cut into 1cm cubes
- 600mls boiling water
- ½tsp pepper
- 4tbsp unsalted cashew nuts
- Chopped fresh coriander, optional
- Natural yogurt, optional
Heat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
Heat the oil in a deep pan.
Add the spices and cook for 2-3 mins without burning.
Add the onion, garlic and courgettes and cook for 2-3 mins to brown slightly.
Next add the chickpeas, frozen peas and rice and mix well to coat the rice.
Add the Spam, boiling water, pepper and nuts and mix well.
Bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven. Cook for 14-16 mins, or until fluffy and all the water absorbed.
When cooked, remove from the oven, fork up well, then place the lid back on and leave for 10 mins before eating.
Serve with a little chopped coriander and a blob of natural yoghurt.