These extra-special, zingy tomatoes are perfect with cold meats or cheese
- 300ml (½ pint) white wine vinegar or malt vinegar
- 900g (2lb) granulated sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 level teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1.5kg (3lb) small green tomatoes, skinned (see 'Top tip')
Put vinegar, sugar, spices and 150ml (¼ pint) water into a large pan. Heat gently, stirring, until sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil.
Add the tomatoes and simmer very gently for 5 minutes. Spoon the tomatoes into a large bowl and pour vinegar syrup over. Cover and leave to cool overnight. 3. Strain the syrup into a large pan and boil for 10 minutes.
Pack tomatoes into sterilised jars and pour in syrup right to the top. The syrup will be thick but, in storage, it will thin down. Cover and seal while hot. Serve with cold meats or cheese.
To skin green tomatoes, add them to a pan of boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water, then peel off the skin.