Elegant French macaroons are the perfect treat in the afternoon or for a special occasion. These pink macaroons with chocolate in the middle would be perfect with a cup of tea with friends and family!
- 175g icing sugar
- 125g/4oz ground almonds
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 75g caster sugar
- Natural pink food colouring
- For the filling
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 200ml double cream
- 1tsp brandy (optional)
- 15g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3, 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Place the icing sugar and ground almonds in a food processor and whiz into a very fine mixture. Sift into a bowl.
- Place the egg whites in a clean, grease free bowl and add a pinch of salt. Whisk to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until thick and glossy. Add a few drops pink colouring.
- Fold half the almond and icing sugar mixture into the meringue and mix well. Add the remaining half and fold the mixture using a metal spoon or spatula until it is shiny and a thick, ribbon-like consistency. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle.
- Pipe small equal rounds of the macaroon mixture, about 3cm across, onto the baking sheets. Tap the baking sheet gently onto the work surface. Stand for 10-15 minutes to form a slight skin. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
For the chocolate filling:
- Place the chocolate, double cream in a pan and heat gently until the chocolate is melted. Add the brandy and butter and beat into a smooth consistency.
- Pipe or spread the filling on half the macaroons and sandwich with the others.
Created by www.bakingmad.com
Top tip for making Pink macaroons with chocolate filling
You can be adventurous with these combinations: Macaroons made with lemon essence with lemon colouring filled with lemon cream. Rose water and pink colouring macaroons filled with cream. Replace half the ground almonds with ground pistachios and colour green colour.