This delicious Italian chicken pot roast needs is ready for the oven in only five minutes and makes a great alternative to your Sunday roast. Tastes great with mash or buttery risotto rice.
- 1.5kg chicken (preferably free range)
- 8 shallots, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra to garnish
- 500ml hot chicken stock
- 150ml Marsala (medium sweet Italian wine)
- 250g pack baby button chestnut mushrooms
- 15ml/1tbsp cornflour mixed to a paste with water
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
Place the chicken breast side up in a casserole dish or small roasting tin and add the shallots, garlic, thyme, stock, Marsala (medium sweet Italian wine) and some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Cover and roast for 1 hour.
Remove the lid or foil and stir in the mushrooms.
Cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until the chicken has browned and is completely cooked through.
Transfer the chicken to a warm serving dish and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
Place the casserole or roasting tin on the heat, add the cornflour and bring to the boil, stirring until the gravy thickens. Serve with creamy mash or buttery risotto.
Masala is easy to find in supermarkets and not pricey. However use sherry or Madeira if you can't get it!