Prosecco-flavoured foods and gifts are a huge trend at the moment, so why should celebrating Pancake Day be any different? For a grown up take on a classic Shrove Tuesday recipe try these tasty prosecco pancakes and you’ll find a new favourite dessert that will really impress your guests – particularly the ones that love a glass of bubbles! By combining prosecco into the pancake batter and then also making a sweet prosecco-flavoured syrup to pour over your finished pancake stack, there couldn’t be more bubbles in this recipe if we tried. Topping off the finished pancake stack with fruit like strawberries, raspberries and cherries with a hearty dollop of clotted cream makes this recipe feel extra special – sort of like an afternoon tea for pancakes! Try this delicious recipe once and you’ll want it again and again.
- For the pancakes
- 225g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 284ml carton of buttermilk
- 4tbsp prosecco
- 2 eggs
- Clotted cream and berries
- For the syrup
- 150g sugar
- 150ml prosecco
To make the pancakes
- In a bowl, mix the plain flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture.
- Add in the carton of buttermilk and prosecco.
- Break in the eggs and then beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Leave the mixture to rest for 1 hour.
- When the mixture is ready, pour a small scoop of the batter into a hot, buttered pan and cook both sides of the pancake – move it to one side and repeat until you’ve used all of the mixture.
To make the syrup
- Add the sugar to the prosecco in a pan and heat on a medium hob for around 3 minutes, until it becomes syrupy.
- Stack the pancakes on a plate, and top them with clotted cream and berries.
- To finish, pour over the syrup.