This fragrant, fishy pasta salad dish is full of fabulous flavour – and only takes 30 minutes to prepare
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 50g can anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 x 440g cans plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 55g (2oz) capers, rinsed well
- 115g (4oz) pitted olives, chopped
- 200g can tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
- Handful basil leaves, chopped
- 350g (12oz) dried pasta shapes, such as gigli
- 115g (4oz) half-fat mozzarella, to serve (optional)
Gently heat the oil in a saucepan with the garlic and chilli for 1 min.
Add the anchovies, tomatoes, capers, olives and tuna. Simmer slowly for 20-25 mins or until thickened. Stir in the basil, turn off the heat and season with black pepper.
Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and add to the sauce with 1tbsp cooking water. Mix well and serve with a little mozzarella, if using.
Top tip for making Puttanesca
If you're not keen on the strong taste of anchovies, you can just leave them out - this dish will still taste great.