Substitute meat for Quorn in this flavoursome, veg-packed vegetable paella recipe. This delicious vegetarian paella is perfect if you don’t eat meat or fish. This recipe serves 4 people and will take only 55 mins to prepare and cook. It’s a great mid-week choice if you fancy something different for dinner. The kids will love tucking into this delicious dish. The veggies count towards your 5-a-day and the protein in the Quorn will keep you fuller for longer.
- 350g Quorn pieces
- 2 lemons – zest and juice
- 300ml/ ½ pint dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil – a fruity oil is good for this dish
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced in rings
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced in rings
- 450g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 225g thin green beans
- 225g peas
- 450g long grain or Valencia Paella rice
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 600ml/1 pint vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- To garnish - 1 lemon cut into wedges & olives
In a shallow bowl marinate the Quorn pieces in the lemon zest and juice and wine.
Heat the olive oil in a large shallow frying pan. Fry the onions and garlic gently until soft and golden. Add the peppers and fry for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and peas and cook for a further 6 minutes.
Remove the Quorn pieces from the lemon juice and wine marinade, reserve both. Add the rice, paprika, saffron, turmeric, chilli, reserved marinade and stir well.
Stir in the stock and simmer well for about 15 minutes. Sir in the Quorn pieces and continue simmering for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is tender adding more liquid if required.
Season to taste, sprinkle over the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges and olives.