Use whatever fun shapes you can get hold of for this kids’ favourite – small rings, tiny shells, little bows, stars or moons. You can also use chorizo or chicken instead of bacon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g (5oz) streaky bacon thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre (1.75pt) chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground
- Black pepper
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 100g (3Hoz) alphabet pasta or other small pasta shapes
- 2tbsp finely shredded basil (optional)
Add the olive oil to a large saucepan on a high heat and fry the bacon for 3-4 mins or until crisp and golden.
Tip in the onion and garlic, reduce the heat and gently cook for 8-10 mins or until soft but not browned. Add the tomatoes and stock and season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
Increase the heat a little and simmer for about 15 mins or until slightly reduced. Add the pasta shapes and continue to simmer for a further 5 mins or until the pasta is cooked.
Remove from the heat and stir in the basil (if using). Check the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper or sugar if necessary, and ladle into warm bowls.