An ideal accompaniment to any meal, couscous is quick, easy to cook and delicious served hot or cold.
- 500g (18oz) couscous
- 6tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 900ml (1 1/2pt) hot vegetable stock
- 100g (4oz) unsalted mixed nuts, chopped
- 175g (6oz) dried fruit (eg sultanas and/or apricots, chopped)
- 4tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 4tbsp chopped fresh mint
Place the couscous in a bowl, add half the olive oil and lemon juice, and stir so that all the grains are well coated.
Season the hot stock and pour 800ml of it over the couscous.
Cover and set aside for 10 mins until the liquid is absorbed.
Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork, stirring in the remaining hot stock if it looks a little dry.
Toast the nuts in a heavy-based frying pan over a low heat for about 5 mins, until golden. Remove from heat and stir into the couscous, along with the remaining oil, fruit and herbs.