A glorious, sugary indulgence made with ground almonds, demerara sugar and fresh raspberries.
- 250g (9 oz) unrefined golden icing sugar
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) wholemeal self raising flour
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) ground almonds
- 5 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 175g (6 oz) salted butter, melted
- 1tspn almond extract
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) fresh raspberries
- Unrefined golden icing sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°F/gas 6
Place 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin.
Sift the sugar and wholemeal flour into a large jug.
Add the ground almonds, egg whites, butter and almond essence and whisk until smooth.
Pour this mixture between the muffin cases, and top with the raspberries.
Bake in the oven for 25 mins or until the friands are golden and spring back when pressed.
Allow to cool in the tin for 5 mins, remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.
Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Top tip for making Raspberry friands
Top the friands with blueberries for an alternative to raspberries.