Making your own hummus? Give it a fresh twist by adding red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes. Bursting with flavour, this dip will be an all-round hit
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 large ready-roasted grilled red pepper (about 125g/4oz)
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tahini (crushed sesame seed) paste
- 2 peeled and crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pitta bread, griddled, to serve
Put the chickpeas, pepper and tomatoes into a food processor and whizz until roughly chopped.
Add the tahini, garlic, oil, and lemon juice and whizz until fairly smooth. Add more lemon juice and seasoning, to taste. Serve with the pitta bread. Use within 2 days.
Variations: Use canned butter beans, cannellini or haricot beans instead of chickpeas. Add fresh coriander, if you like