If you love a good old rhubarb recipe, you’ll want to try this easy-to-make, sweet and tangy upside-down dessert!
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 200g (7oz) light muscovado sugar
- 350g (12oz) fresh rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 2tbsp finely chopped stem ginger
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2tsp salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 200ml (7fl oz) buttermilk
- 2 medium eggs
- 80ml (2 1/2fl oz) vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4
Melt the butter in a 24cm ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Stir in half the sugar, and cook for about 5 mins. Remove from the heat and add the rhubarb and ginger. If you don’t have an ovenproof frying pan pour the rhubarb mix into a 24cm round tin.
Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and orange zest.
Whisk the remaining sugar with the buttermilk, eggs and oil. Add the flour mix and mix well. Pour over the rhubarb and smooth the surface.
Bake for 30 mins or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre. Cool then invert on to a serving plate. Serve warm with custard or cream.