Tender chicken breasts oozing with a rich garlic and herb cheesy filling make a simple but stylish summer supper.
- l 50g (2oz) ricotta cheese
- l 1 garlic clove, crushed
- l 10ml (2tsp) fresh chopped thyme
- l 10ml (2tsp) fresh chopped parsley
- l 15ml (1tbsp) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- l 4 large chicken fillets
- l 8 slices Parma ham
- l 15g (1/2oz) butter
- l 45ml (3tbsp) olive oil
- l 225g (8oz) bag spinach salad
- l 50g (2oz) pine nuts, lightly toasted
Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5. Blend the ricotta with the garlic, herbs and Parmesan and season with freshly ground black pepper. Use a sharp knife to slice a large pocket in each chicken fillet.
Spoon a quarter of the ricotta mixture into each pocket and seal closed with wooden cocktail sticks or very thin metal skewers. Wrap each fillet in 2 slices of Parma ham.
Heat the butter and 15ml (1tbsp) of the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the fillets over a high heat, turning frequently until golden brown (don’t worry if a little cheese leaks out).
Transfer the fillets to a small roasting tin. Cover with foil and bake for 25-35 mins until cooked through.
Divide the spinach salad between 4 plates and scatter over the pine nuts. Slice each stuffed fillet into 6 and arrange on top. Stir the remaining olive oil into the juices in the roasting tin and pour over the chicken.