Another great vegetarian cheese recipe, this time using aubergine. This vegetable tastes great and lowers your cholesterol, so there’s no excuse not to give this recipe a go!
- 2 medium aubergines cut in half lengthways
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp tahini, (sesame paste)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/2tsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 100g (31/2oz) Goat's Cheese log, rind removed and diced (available from deli counter)
- 75g (23/4oz) baby cherry tomatoes
- 100g (31/2oz) Emmental, grated
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 190°C/gas mark 5/170°C fan oven. Score the cut sides of the aubergine in a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife. Drizzle with the olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Carefully scoop out the flesh from the aubergines without damaging the skins. Finely chop the flesh and put into a bowl. Mix together with the tahini, garlic, spices, thyme, lemon juice and seasoning. Fold in the goat’s cheese and cherry tomatoes and spoon back into the aubergine skins.
Place on a baking tray and scatter the Emmental over the top. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve immediately with rice and salad.