If you love lamb, you’ll love this recipe with a hot, aniseed flavour. Impress all your guests!
- 900g-1.3kg (2-3lb) lean lamb half leg joint
- Salt and pepper
- For the Fennel and Mustard Butter:
- 50g (2oz) softened butter
- 15-30ml (1-2tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 45ml (3tbsp) fennel seeds, finely crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml (2tbsp) freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). To prepare the fennel and mustard butter, take a small bowl and mix all the ingredients together.
Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slits over the surface. Season and spread the butter over the joint and into the slits.
Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the time specified above, depending on whether you prefer it medium or well done. Baste regularly with any rich meat juices.
Top tip for making Roast lamb with fennel and mustard butter
Serve the roast lamb with potatoes or rice salad.