Try this fantastic gammon dish with a tangy orange, lemon and rosemary glaze served with grated potato rosti nests - it would make a great alternative to a roast dinner.
- 1.35g (3lb) Gammon joint
- For the glaze
- 30ml/2tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 Orange, juice and rind
- 1 Orange, sliced
- 1 Lemon, juice and rind
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- 4 Large sprigs fresh rosemary
- For the potato rosti nests
- 3 Large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 Onion, peeled and grated
- 15m/1tbsp Oil
- 15m/1tbsp Oil
- Place gammon joint in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for half the calculated cooking time. (If you don’t have a pan large enough to do this, place joint into a deep roast pan pour in 1 litre (2pts) boiling water and cover well with foil. Cook for half the calculated cooking time and then remove the foil.)
- Glaze: In a small saucepan add the sugar, orange and lemon juice and rind, and 1 sprig of rosemary. Bring to the boil and allow to reduce slightly. (Put into the gammon water the squeezed orange and lemon skins and 1 large sprig rosemary.)
- After half the cooking time, remove joint from the saucepan, drain, strip off the rind and score the fat into diamonds. Brush with some of the glaze. Place the orange and lemon slices on top and secure with extra rosemary sprigs.
- Place in a roasting tin lined with foil and bake for the remaining half of the cooking time. Re-glaze again. If joint starts to catch cover with foil.
- Serve with rosti potato nests and seasonal green vegetables
For the potato rosti:
- Place grated potatoes on clean tea towel to absorb the moisture. Roll up in the towel and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Place potato in a bowl and add the onion and season. Combine together.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, take a handful of the potato/onion mixture and cook until golden brown each side, turning carefully.
- Alternatively bake in a preheated oven Gas 6 200C 400F for about 15 minutes until golden
Top tip for making Roasted gammon and rosti potatoes
If you don't want to glaze the gammon with orange, lemon and rosemary then try a honey and mustard glaze with this recipe