A rhubarb recipe with lemon curd and mascarpone added for extra creaminess, which perfectly complements the crunchy texture of this simple spring or summer dessert.
- About 1kg (2lb) forced pink rhubarb, trimmed and cut
- into 4cm (1½in) lengths
- Zest of 2 oranges, and some of the juice
- 150g (5oz) light muscovado sugar
- 250g tub mascarpone cheese
- 6 tablespoons good-quality lemon curd
- 8 amaretti biscuits, or 4 ginger biscuits, or other biscuits of your choice
- Icing sugar, for dusting
Set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Put the rhubarb in a large roasting tin or on a baking sheet; mix in the orange zest and sprinkle with the sugar.
Roast for 10 minutes, stirring once, until just tender. Tip it into a large, shallow container, if you like. Leave to cool.
Divide the rhubarb and its juice between 8 tumblers. Mix the mascarpone with the lemon curd and enough orange juice (2-4 tablespoons) to make a smooth, light mixture. Spoon on fruit in tumblers. Chill, if you like.
Take out of fridge 30 minutes before serving. Scatter with roughly crushed biscuits and
Top tip for making Roasted rhubarb with lemon mascarpone
Don’t stir the rhubarb once it’s cooked, otherwise it will break up — you want to keep as much shape as possible.