Potatoes, parsnips and beetroot are the stars of this one-pot wonder – a great way to use up leftovers from your roast dinner. It’s the perfect winter warmer and super-simple to make
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 300g (10oz) roast potatoes and parsnips (total weight)
- 2 cooked beetroot (about 350g/12oz), cut into wedges
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan and add the onion rings. Cook for a few mins to soften them, then add the garlic, potatoes and parsnips. Cook for 5 mins.
Add the beetroot. Season well and cook for 5 mins, stirring from time to time. Serve sprinkled with the chopped parsley.
For a superb flavour, bake raw whole beetroot, wrapped in foil, at Gas Mark 6 or 200°C for an hour and a half. Or for a bit of extra heat, try Sweetfire beetroot wedges, from Waitrose.