A traditional Scottish dish, Rumbledethumps is a variation on bubble and squeek but instead of frying leftovers the cabbage and mash are baked like a pie. First featured in Woman's Weekly in 1982
- 500g (1lb) cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 500g (1lb) mashed potato (use just over 500g/1lb potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed, or use leftover mash)
- 125g (4oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- You will also need
- Large ovenproof dish, buttered
Set oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
Mix cabbage, onion and seasoning in dish. Pour in 150ml (21⁄4 pint) water, and dot with butter. Spoon potato over evenly, then sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Serve with sausages, if you like.