This hearty soup recipe is brilliant for using up any roast dinner leftovers and it’s only 200 calories per bowl and lots of healthy beans and veg in it too
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g can whole or chopped tomatoes
- 410g can borlotti or other beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) turkey or chicken stock
- About 200g (7oz) cooked ham, cut roughly into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Good handful of fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
In a large pan, soften the onion, carrot and celery in the oil for 5 mins
Add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 5 mins.
Stir in the tomatoes, beans and stock
Simmer for about 20 mins until the carrots are just tender.
Ladle about half the soup into a blender and whizz until almost smooth, then pour back into the pan.
Add the ham and cook for about 5 mins until piping hot, and check seasoning.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley, and drizzle with olive oil, if you like.
Serve hot with bread.
Not suitable for freezing.