These cute little cupcakes are perfect for kids. Topped with vanilla buttercream icing and sugar flowers, you really can’t go wrong. Did we mention they’re vegan too?
- 170ml (6fl oz) organic soya milk
- 1⁄2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 80ml (21⁄2fl oz) rapeseed oil
- 170ml (6fl oz) agave syrup
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey organic vanilla extract
- 185g (61⁄2oz) self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla sea salt such as Halen Môn
- For the vanilla icing:
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) pure dairy-free soya spread
- 50g (1 3/4 oz) white vegetable fat such as Trex
- 300g (10 oz) icing sugar
- Splash of soya milk
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- Pink or blue gel food colouring
- Sugar flowers
- Hundreds and thousands
- Coloured sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and line 1 or 2 cupcake tins with paper cases.
- Whisk together the soya milk and cider vinegar and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, agave syrup and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and vanilla sea salt. Slowly incorporate the dry mixture into the wet, mixing until only a few little lumps appear. Divide the mixture evenly among the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 20–22 minutes – if a toothpick inserted into the centre come out clean, they are ready. Cool slightly in the pan, then leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the icing:
- Beat the fats together until light. Add the icing sugar and continue beating for about 3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and the pink or blue food colouring. Beat for a further 4–5 minutes until the icing looks like the fluffiest clouds you’ve ever seen! Use to ice the cupcakes.
- Top with sugar flowers, hundreds and thousands and coloured sugar.
This recipe is taken from Britain’s Best Dish, published by Dorling Kindersley, priced £20, available from Amazon
Top tip for making School fete cupcakes
If you can't get vanilla sea salt, buy a vanilla pod and use some of the seeds in the cake mix.