Triple tested: It’s not embarrassing to serve these retro prawn cocktails anymore – it’s trendy. Brought to you by Essentials magazine
- 175g good-quality mayonnaise
- 3tbsp tomato ketchup
- Few drops Tabasco
- 1-2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500g North Atlantic cooked prawns
- 1 large ripe avocado, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 large cucumber, chopped
- 6 dill sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 3 small heads of gem lettuce, leaves removed
- 100g fresh or tinned white crabmeat (drained if tinned)
- Lemon wedges
- 6 large tail-on cooked prawns
Mix the mayonnaise with the tomato ketchup, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Stir prawns through; set aside.
Mix the avocado, cucumber, dill, lemon juice and zest together and season.
Remove the dark green outer leaves of the little gems and shred the rest. Put 3 whole leaves into each glass and top with shredded lettuce. Add the prawns, then 2⁄3 of the avocado mix, the craband finally the remaining avocado mix.
Garnish each glass with a large prawn and serve with lemon wedges
For a tasty alternative to the Marie Rose sauce, add a little wasabi and a squeeze of lemon to your mayo - it has a great kick and goes so well with the prawns.