Want to try something new? Why not try making these easy-to-make bistro-style seafood pasties? Use ready made filo pastry and fill with mussels and cockles for the perfect party food
- Ready made filo pastry (6 sheets — we used Jus-Rol Frozen Filo Pastry)
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, optional
- For the filling
- 150g (5oz) butternut squash, finely diced
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 180g tub of mussels in brine, drained, or a pack of fresh mussels
- 110g jar of cockles, drained
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or 1 tbsp Thai curry paste
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- Large baking sheet, lined with Bakewell paper
Mix together all the filling ingredients. Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C.
Lay out 1 sheet of filo pastry at a time. Brush it with butter, and then cut it into 3 long strips. Put a good tbsp of filling at the base of each strip, then fold it up and over in the pastry in a triangle shape, and keep on folding until you get to the top. Put the pasties on the baking sheet and brush with butter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
Bake for 30 mins. Serve hot or cold.
To make these piquant, add vinegar and parsley to the filling, or, for a Thai flavour, add curry paste and coriander. You can add fresh or canned baby clams instead of the cockles.