If you like healthy, light dinners, this seared tuna salad is a winner. Quick to make and cook, it's full of flavour too.
- 1 tuna steak about 240g (7½oz)
- A little olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 4tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2tsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 anchovies, roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped, optional
- Half a small red chilli, finely chopped
- 8 baby plum or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 black olives, halved and pitted
- Good handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves
- A few basil leaves
- 4 small squares of ready-made focaccia bread, warmed through, to serve
Brush the tuna steaks with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook in a large frying pan, or on a griddle, over a high heat for 2 mins each side. Set aside on a warm plate.
To make the salad, mix the oil with the vinegar, anchovies, garlic, if using, and chilli in a small bowl for the dressing. Slice the tuna thickly and arrange on two plates with the tomato and olive halves, parsley and whole or shredded basil leaves. Drizzle with the dressing. Serve with warm focaccia. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top tip for making Seared tuna with tomato and olive salad
Chef James Martin sugggests thawing frozen fish fillets in milk to absorb the 'frozen' taste and add a 'fresh caught' taste.