Slimming World’s mixed paella is really simple to make and bursting with flavour thanks to punchy paprika, garlic and lemon. The chicken and seafood in this recipe is cooked to perfection – tender, with plenty of flavour. Spain’s most famous dish is traditionally made in three ways. The original recipe – Valencian paella – uses chicken, rabbit and vegetables (and sometimes snails!), while seafood paella uses shellfish in their shells. Mixed paella is the best of both worlds, and this is a guilt-free version.
- low calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- large pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 900ml boiling chicken stock
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 250g dried paella rice
- 200g live mussels
- 200g fresh squid rings (or use frozen and thawed)
- 12 cooked and peeled king prawns, with or without tails
- 2 bottled roasted red peppers in brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- small handful of finely chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- lemon wedges, to serve
Spray a paella pan or large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-low heat.
Add the onion, garlic and chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until softened.
Stir the saffron threads (if using) and turmeric into the stock, then add the stock to the pan and stir in the smoked paprika.
Bring to a simmer then add the paella rice. Stir once, then cover and leave to simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
Scrub the mussels, pulling off any beards, and discard any that are damaged or are open but don’t close when tapped against the sink.
Add the mussels, squid, prawns, peppers, peas and carrots to the paella. Cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is soft but not mushy, the vegetables are tender and the mussels have opened (discard any that remain closed). Season to taste, scatter over the parsley and serve in shallow bowls with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Top tip for making Slimming World’s mixed paella
If you want to save time you can use 2 x 225g seafood selection packs (these usually contain squid, mussels and prawns) instead of buying them separately. Add to the paella and heat through for the last 5-6 minutes.