If you’ve got a slow cooker, you’ll love this sausage and bean casserole recipe. Simply combine the ingredients and cook for up to 8 hours for a deliciously easy family meal
- 4 pork spare ribs
- 4 thick beef or lamb sausages
- 6 French shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3–4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large rosemary sprig or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (concentrated purée)
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 60ml white wine
- 800g tinned white beans, such as cannellini, haricot or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Prepare spare ribs by removing the rind and excess fat. Cut each spare rib into three thick chunks. Cut the sausages in half.
Put the ribs, sausages, shallots, carrot, celery and garlic in the slow cooker. Sprinkle over the paprika and tuck in the rosemary sprig (or sprinkle over the dried rosemary). Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Combine tomato paste with the tomatoes and wine and pour over the meat and vegetables. Stir in the white beans.
Cook on low for 6–8 hours, or until the meat is tender. Remove the rosemary sprig and stir through the parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Top tip for making Slow-cooked sausage and bean casserole
Not got a slow cooker? We've got lots of oven-cooked sausage casserole recipes