This delicious, thick and creamy soup – tender haddock and salmon combined with potato, sweetcorn and celery – is a meal in itself. And it’s super quick and easy to make, too
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) milk
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2tbsp instant thickening granules (eg, McDougalls)
- 2 x 125g (4oz) smoked haddock fillets, skinned
- 2 x 125g (4oz) salmon fillets, skinned
- 300g (10oz) frozen sweetcorn
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Heat oil in a large pan. Add the onion and celery and cook gently for 5 mins until softened. Pour in the milk, add the potato and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Stir in thickening granules.
Add the smoked haddock, salmon and sweetcorn. Simmer for 7 mins until the fish is just tender. Season. Sprinkle with parsley before serving, if you like.
Top tip for making Smoked haddock chowder
If you don’t have thickening granules, you can use 2tbsp cornflour mixed with a little water.