Transform a simple can of baked beans with a few storecupboard spices, an onion and some bacon for a full on flavoursome brunch or lunch
- 2 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 400g can baked beans
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch chilli powder
- 2 slices ciabatta bread or sourdough bread, toasted
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
Fry the bacon in a frying pan until crispy (there’s no need to add any fat to the pan as enough will come out of the bacon), then remove it from the pan.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes over a medium heat to soften the onion.
Stir in the baked beans, sugar, mustard, paprika, cumin and chilli and heat through.
Spoon the beans onto the hot toast, top with the bacon and sprinkle with chopped parsley, to garnish.
Top these tasty beans and bacon with a fried or poached egg for a more substantial meal