An easy veggie stew with only 150 calories a portion, made with seasonal vegetables like butternut squash. Let it slow cook while you put your feet up.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- ½-1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2-3 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 level tbsp ground coriander
- 1 level tbsp ground cumin
- 1 level tbsp ground turmeric
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 410g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Couscous, steamed, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook it for about 5 mins, until it begins to soften. Add the other vegetables and cook for a further 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally.
Add the ground coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook for a further 1-2 mins. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and 300ml (½ pint) water, crumble in the stock cube and bring to the boil. Stir in the chickpeas and seasoning.
Pour the mixture into the bowl of a slow-cook pot and cook on a high heat for 3-4 hrs, or a low heat for 5-8 hrs, until the vegetables are tender.
Sprinkle coriander over and serve with steamed couscous.