Try this delicious main-course dish made with spicy lean minced lamb, courgettes, aubergine and canned chick peas with a tasty Cheshire cheese crumble topping.
- 500g (1lb) (2oz) lean minced lamb1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium aubergine, thinly sliced
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp chopped fresh red chilli or 1/2 tsp medium chilli powder
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 125ml (4floz) red wine or water
- 1 medium courgette, grated
- 50g (2oz) sultanas
- 410g can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the topping:
- 100g (4oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 75g (3oz) Cheshire cheese, finely crumbled
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
Heat a large saucepan and add the lamb, searing it over a high heat until browned. Add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat and cook for about 5 mins, stirring often.
Meanwhile, char-grill or grill the slices of aubergine for about 2 mins on each side to soften them. Stir the spices and herbs, tomato puree and red wine or water into the lamb mixture and simmer for 5 mins. Add the courgette, sultanas and chick peas, then remove from the heat. Season with black pepper.
Spoon half the mixture into a deep baking dish. Layer the aubergine on top, then add the remaining mince mixture, leveling the surface. Cool for a few mins whilst preparing the topping.
Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the crumbled Cheshire cheese.
Sprinkle over the mince mixture and bake for 30-35 mins.
Top tipsYou could use 1tbsp medium curry powder instead of the cumin, ginger and chilli. Replace the aubergine with thickly sliced mushrooms, if you prefer - there is no need to grill them.