In this cheap but delicious dish, the sweetness of the pumpkin gets an extra kick from the chilli
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 red birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 300g (11oz) risotto rice
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2cm pieces
- 100ml (3.3floz) white wine
- 1ltr (1¾ pts) hot vegetable stock
- 4tbsp grated Parmesan (vegetarian for veggies), plus extra for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fry the onion in a wide pan for 4-5 mins or until softened. Stir in the chilli and cinnamon and cook for 1 min.
Add the rice and turn in the oil until all the grains are coated.
Stir in the pumpkin, add the wine and bring to the boil. Add the hot stock, 2 ladles at a time, and allow to be absorbed by the rice before adding more. Stir frequently over a medium heat for 15-20 mins until the rice is tender and all the stock is absorbed. The rice should still have a slight ‘bite’.
Mix in the Parmesan and seasoning, spoon into large bowls and serve immediately with extra grated Parmesan.
Top tip for making Spicy pumpkin risotto
Summer squash (acorn, spaghetti and gem) have a more watery flesh with a softer skin, do not keep so well and are best for boiling or for soups. All squash are a good source of vitamin A. If you can't get pumpkin, use butternut squash.