Steaks are delicious cooked in Chinese spices - and served with a sauce which works equally well with chicken or turkey
- 6sirloin, rump or fillet steaks
- 2 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
- For the plum sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots or 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) or 6-8 ripe red plums, halved
- 5 tbsp dry red wine (or water)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 To make the plum sauce: heat the oil in a frying pan, add the shallot, or onion, and cook until light brown – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and plum halves, cook for a minute, then mix in the wine or water, vinegar and brown sugar.
Simmer, half-covered, for about 10 minutes. Sieve to purée and remove the plum stones and skins, then stir in the soy sauce, ginger and seasoning. Serve warm.
Meanwhile, sprinkle Five Spice Powder on the steaks and pan-fry them, in a little hot oil, until cooked to your liking. Add the de-glazed pan juices to the plum sauce, if you like.
Top tip for making Spicy steak with plum sauce
The sauce can be made the day before use and kept in the fridge, then reheated. It can also be freezed (use within 3 months). This plum sauce is also good served with duck, chicken or turkey.