Made with a mixture of finely chopped carrots , beetroot and celeriac, this delicious cheese topped recipe is perfect for enjoying in the summer sun. Serve as a side dish or with pitta and grated cheese for lunch. This dish will feed up to 4 people at only 460 calories per serving. Adding pumpkin seeds to the mix adds a great crunch to this dish. You could top with crispy onion too for even more flavour.
- 2 French candy beetroots, peeled (or 2 ordinary raw beetroots)
- About 100ml spiced white vinegar, warmed, optional
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1tsp honey
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30g big raisins
- 1 small celeriac (about 500g), peeled and grated
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 30g toasted pumpkin seeds,
- A few sprigs of flat-leaf parsley
- About 100g Manchego or your favourite cheese, shaved
- 4 tortillas, griddled, to serve
Slice the candy beetroot very thinly and leave it to soak in the vinegar to tenderise it while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. If using red beetroot, use it as it is, or soak it if you prefer.
Whisk the lemon juice, honey and oil in a large bowl. Season well.
Add the raisins, grated celeriac and carrot, or just toss the carrot in the vinegar if you prefer.
Arrange beetroot slices on 4 plates. Spoon the celeriac mixture, then the carrot on top. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and parsley leaves. Add shavings of cheese. Serve with griddled tortillas.
Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry pan for 2 mins, until they pop.