This steak, chicory and orange salad is a delicious, flavoursome treat when the sun is shining. Enjoy in the comfort of your own garden with friends and family, this mouth-watering salad combines tender sirloin steak with tangy orange and a kick of Dijon mustard. You could serve this dish in a pocket pitta or with some wholemeal brown bread. This simple and speedy salad is ready in under 30 mins and is sure to brighten up your day.
- 6tsps olive oil
- 2 thickish sirloin steaks (about 150g)
- 2 oranges; 1 juiced, 1 segmented
- 2tsps sherry vinegar
- 1 rounded tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 heads white chicory, each sliced into 4 pieces lengthways
- 1 head of red chicory or radicchio
- A good handful of wild rocket
Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Rub 1 tsp of oil over each steak. Season them and fry for 1½-2 mins on either side. Wrap in foil and set aside.
Bring the orange juice to the boil in a pan until syrupy and reduced by half. Take off the heat, whisk in the vinegar, mustard, 1 tsp oil and seasoning.
Toss the red onion and white chicory in the rest of the oil. Griddle them for a few mins until browning and tender. Slice the steaks thinly.
Mix all the warm ingredients with the orange segments and the dressing. Serve on plates with the red chicory and rocket.
Top tip for making Steak, chicory and orange salad
For extra flavour, crush a garlic clove and mix with the oil to rub on the steak.