Steak is a great source of iron, which is good for the brain! Why not try this tasty steak pitta to boost your brain power at lunch?
- 250-300g rump steak1/2tsp sea salt
- 1/4tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1tsp olive oil
- For the salad:
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small white onion
- 50g rocket
- 25g pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/2 x 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp roughly chopped fresh basil
- 1/2tsp lemon zest
- 1/2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 wholemeal pitta breads
Preheat a griddle or large frying pan over a high heat. Using a large sharp knife cut the steak in half horizontally. Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper and drizzle with the olive oil.
Place the seasoned meat onto the griddle or pan and cook for 1-2 mins on each side, for rare, or longer depending on how you like it cooked. Remove from the heat and leave to rest on a board for 5 mins.
Mix all the salad ingredients other than the pitta together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Warm the pitta in toaster for 1-2 mins, or in the microwave for 10 seconds.
To serve, cut the steak across the grain into thin strips. Open the pittas up into pockets. Divide the salad between them and top with the steak.
* Red meat is an excellent source of iron which can help fuel your brain by helping to make sure it gets enough oxygen. * Pitta bread is a good thing to keep in your freezer as it defrosts quickly and can be eaten on the go. * For a quick and easy option, replace the beef with strips of stir-fry beef or chicken. * If you are a vegetarian, good sources of iron include egg yolks, pulses such as red kidney beans and lentils, dried apricots, figs, broccoli, baked beans, wholegrain cereals and wholemeal bread.