Use up those cupboard leftovers with this deliciously easy spaghetti dish – ready in less than half an hour!
- 8 tinned anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 6tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp small capers
- 180g (6½ oz) small pitted black olives
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g (4oz) coarse fresh breadcrumbs from a baguette or ciabatta
- 500g (1lb 2oz) dried spaghetti
- Zest of a lemon
- 4tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Pound the anchovies with half the olive oil to make a paste. Mix together the anchovies, capers and olives.
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, fry the garlic quickly, then add the breadcrumbs and fry until browned.
Cook the pasta for around 10 mins until firm. Drain, return to pan and add anchovy mix and lemon zest plus a little extra oil if it’s a bit dry. Stir in the parsley and freshly ground pepper. Scatter over garlic crumbs and serve.
You can always add other store-cupboard leftovers to this recipe: try tinned tuna or sun-dried tomatoes.