This traditional roast lamb recipe is taken from Woman’s Weekly 1960. A great family favourite, the tasty stuffing makes the meal more substantial and will soon make it a family favourite!
- 1 breast of lamb (about 500g/1lb), ready boned
- 1 tablespoon dripping, lard or oil
- For the stuffing:
- 90g (3oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 rashers lean bacon, chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 2 tbs freshly chopped parsley
- 3 tbs milk
- Salt and ground
Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C.
To make the stuffing: Mix all the ingredients together. Spread the stuffing over the opened-out breast of lamb, then roll it up and tie it with string in 4 places. Rub the joint with salt.
Heat the dripping, lard or oil in a roasting tin, add the joint and baste it. Roast for 2 hours. Serve with baby Chantenay carrots and new potatoes, if you like.
Top tip for making Stuffed breast of lamb
For more flavour from cheap cuts of meat roast longer at a lower temperature.