The perfect vegetarian comfort food for winter: a cheesy, creamy pasta dish from top chef Silvana Franco
- 350g/12 oz tagliatelle
- A knob of butter
- 15ml/1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 (250g) packs chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 4 large, free range eggs
- 1 (300ml) carton single cream (or 1(300ml) carton of half fat cream for a slimmer option)
- 75g/3 oz Parmesan, freshly grated
- 45ml/3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for about 10 mins or according to packet instructions, until ‘al dente’.
Heat the butter and oil together in a large frying pan then sizzle the garlic for 30 secs, before adding the mushrooms. Cook over a high heat for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are nicely browned. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
Lightly beat together the eggs and cream, stir in the Parmesan and seasoning.
Drain the pasta in a colander, return to the pan, and stir in the egg mixture, garlic mushrooms and chives and toss together well. The heat from the pasta will lightly thicken the sauce.
Divide between two bowls and serve with Parmesan if liked.