Toast a couple of slices of this nutty, seeded bread for breakkie and you won’t feel hungry until well past lunchtime as it releases energy slowly and is the perfect thing to give to the kids before a busy day of school or playing! The variety of seeds gives the slices a lovely crunch and loads of flavour. Try experimenting with lots of different flavours till you find your favourite.
- 250g (8oz) strong white bread flour
- 100g (3½oz) plain wholemeal bread flour
- 75g (3oz) muesli
- 1tbsp millet seeds
- 1tbsp poppy seeds
- 1tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1tsp of salt
- 1½tsp fast-action/easy-blend yeast
- 1tbsp runny honey
- 350ml (12fl oz) warm water
- You'll also need:
- Breadmaker (optional)
- (2lb) non-stick loaf tin or non-stick baking tray
- To make the dough in a breadmaker: Place all of the ingredients, except the seeds, into the bread pan following your manufacturers’ instructions regarding the order of liquid/dry ingredients. Place the seeds in the raisin/nut dispenser, if available and set your machine to the light wholemeal setting. If you do not have a dispenser, add the seeds in when the machine indicates with a beeping sound. When the cycle is complete, remove the dough. Knead for 1 min to remove the air, cover and leave to rest for 10 mins. Follow on from step 2.
- To make the dough by hand: Place both the flours, muesli, seeds and salt into a mixing bowl. Mix together the yeast, honey and water in a measuring jug. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and using your hands, mix together until it forms a dough and comes away from the bowl – it should take about 3 – 4 mins. Transfer the dough onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead for about 5 – 10 mins. Return the dough back to the bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 – 40 mins to double in size. Scoop the bread back out and give it a simple knead for 1 min.
- To finish the bread by hand: Mould the dough into your desired loaf shape and place it onto a non-stick baking tray or place in a 1kg (2lb) non-stick loaf tin for a more traditional loaf shape. Leave the bread somewhere warm to prove for 20 – 30 mins or until it has almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Bake the bread in the preheated oven for about 30 mins until it is golden on top and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
This bread recipe includes two sets of instructions to help you make the dough using a breadmaker or by hand if you don't have one. Either way finish the bread off by hand then bake it in the oven.