This hearty salad is a great choice if you want to eat something healthy but don’t want to be left hungry. Soft chunks of sweet potato and aubergine make this salad nice and filling while the tasty addition of pecans and pomegranate seeds provides plenty of flavour. Ready in just 30 mins, this salad is big enough to serve as a main dish for dinner or lunch. As delicious cold as fresh from the oven, save any leftovers you have for lunch the next day
- 4-6 baby aubergines or 1 medium aubergine
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- About 200g tenderstem broccoli, blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely slices
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 30g pecan nuts
- About 2 tbsps pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsps finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 generous tbsps mayonnaise
Halve the baby aubergines or thickly slice the larger one. Brush with a little oil and put cut-side down on a hot griddle until scored, then turn them over and cook until softened. Set aside in warm place. Brush the sweet potato slices with oil and griddle them.
Mix the aubergine and sweet potato with the broccoli in a large bowl. Add the red onion, spinach leaves, pecans and pomegranate seeds, just adding a little more oil to give a gloss to everything.
Mix the parsley into the mayonnaise. Spoon and smear it on 2 plates, then pile the salad on top and serve warm.
If you don’t want to griddle the veg, coat the slices in oil and roast in a tin at 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 for about 30 mins.