At just £1.09 per serving, this vegetarian curry makes a lovely mid week meal. Quick and easy, it's a great way of getting more veg into your family's diet
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 3 tbsp balti paste, or more if you like it spicy
- 500g (1lb) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 125g (4 oz) frozen spinach chunks
- Naan breads or rice, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and fry 3-4 mins. Stir in the balti paste and sweet potato chunks and cook for a couple of mins.
Add the tomatoes, 300ml (½ pint) hot water and the chickpeas. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10-15 mins. Check the seasoning.
Microwave the frozen spinach for a few mins and spoon on top of the balti (or add to the balti for the last 5 mins of cooking). Spoon curry into bowls. Serve with hot naan bread or rice.
Top tip for making Sweet potato and chickpea balti
You can add chicken to this dinner to make it a little meatier