Typical of southern India, this starter is ideal for a party, as it can be prepared ahead
- For the dip:
- 3tbsp thick natural yogurt
- 4 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- For the prawns:
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 1/4tsp crushed chillies
- 1tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2tsp ground coriander
- 450g large raw peeled prawns
Combine the dip ingredients, season well; chill until ready to use.
Meanwhile, combine the tamarind, sugar and spices in a large non metallic bowl. Season well and add the prawns. Stir to coat and set to one side to marinate.
Preheat the grill to its hottest. Skewer prawns and grill for about 5-8 mins until cooked through, spooning over any excess marinade. Serve the prawns with the yogurt dip, crisp salad leaves and plenty of fresh limes for squeezing over.