Hearty and delicious Tex-Mex chicken burgers are perfect for sharing. Cook on the BBQ or on a frying pan on the hob. Serve with a crisp, freshly prepared salad with avocados and tomatoes. These burgers are super speedy to make and can be rustled up in under 30 minutes.
- 600g chicken thighs, roughly chopped
- handful fresh coriander or parsley
- 2 tsp cajun spice blend
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño chillies from a jar, chopped
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 burger buns, toasted
Put the chicken into a food processor with the herbs, spice blend and mayo, then season and blitz well. Tip out the mixture onto a board and divide into 4 patties.
Set aside in the fridge, well covered, if not cooking immediately.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the burgers for 15-20 mins, turning until cooked all the way through.
Meanwhile, make the salsa by mixing together the tomatoes, avocado, jalapeño chillies, oil and lemon juice. Serve the burgers in a bun with a little mayonnaise and the salsa spooned over the top.
You could try this recipe using lamb instead of chicken.