Enjoy a taste of Italian summers – rustle up this risotto packed with healthy green vegetables
- 150g (5oz) each of fresh peas, fresh broad beans and green beans (or whatever combination you like)
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 small bulb of fennel, or 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 250g (8oz) arborio rice
- ¾ ltr (1¼ pints) chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g (5oz) soft goat's cheese, cut into thin slices
- Chopped fresh chives or parsley
Bring a small pan of water to the boil and cook the peas and beans for 3-5 minutes, until just cooked. Drain, reserving the cooking water for making up the stock using stock cubes. Refresh the vegetables under cold running water. Set aside.
Heat the butter and fennel, or onion, in a large pan and cook gently for a few minutes. Add the garlic. Stir in the rice and cook for a couple of minutes. Add about a quarter of the stock and cook gently, stirring, until it has been absorbed. Continue adding stock until it is all used up and the rice is creamy. Season well.
Add pulses. Spoon risotto into dishes, add 2-3 slices of cheese per portion and sprinkle with herbs.