This is a great spicy and tangy, non-fat accompaniment to many dishes. It is also a great gift to foodies both vegetarian and meateaters.
- 900g (2lb) ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8 red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 star anise
- 600g (1¼lb) golden caster sugar
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 2 x 500g (1lb) jars, sterilised
Put half the tomatoes into a processor with the chillies, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Whizz to a purée, then transfer to a heavy-based pan with the rest of the tomatoes.
Add the star anise, sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 50 mins, until the chutney is thickened. Skim off any scum.
Pour the chutney into the jars. Cover, seal and label. Store in the fridge and use within 1 month.
Love a good chutney? Try this green tomato chutney that’s perfect with cold meats and cheese boards.
Top tip for making Tomato chilli chutney
To give as a present: Pack up a jar of chutney with kitchen utensilsand an oven glove.